I just wanted to make a quick post to the blog before I head out to a conference the rest of the week. If you're experiencing infertility you may find yourself going full-force ahead from treatment to treatment, barely allowing yourself time to breathe in between. Everything is about time with infertility treatments. You know exactly where you are in your cycle at all, and I mean, ALL times. I'm sure you're eating well, doing yoga, watching your alcohol consumption and getting as much rest as possible. All of that is great. The one area that may be neglected is the emotional component of the experience.
Just as it takes financial resources to go through IVF and other treatments it also takes emotional resources. It can be extremely, mentally draining to have a failed cycle or a cancelled cycle. Be sure you are taking the time you need to grieve and getting the emotional support from friends, family or a counselor so that you won't go emotionally bankrupt before you reach your goal of parenthood. Here are some quick and easy ways to make regular deposits into your emotional bank account:
- Express your feelings as honestly as you can to someone you trust
- Plan to periodically review your fertility plan to see if it still fits
- Find a local support group such as RESOLVE where you can talk openly about your infertility experience
- Keep a journal where you can write down your thoughts and feelings
- Try to incorporate fun activities that are rejuvenating for you
- Recognize that it's ok to take a break from the medical treatments if you are struggling emotionally
- Keep sight of the positive things in your life
- Remember, you are not your infertility
The idea to make sure you have something left when the baby comes. So take good care of your emotional health too.